Saturday, February 21, 2015

Venison Roll with Spinach and Feta Cheese

It has been too long a time since posting so I have a treat in store for ye today!!

A neighbor (Paul) had a fresh venison roast that he asked "what can you do with this?" Well, about 10 years ago I was the Chamber President in town and we put on a Wild Game and KCBS Cook-off on. 

As we worked getting the contestants settled in the wife and I went round to visit them all. One had given the wife and I a sample of their preparation of venison that was done with the spinach and feta cheese. I thought the wife would turn up her nose but instead asked the gent what he had given her as she liked it. When he told her I expected turn and run but she surprised me by asking him if she could have another piece.

Armed with the memory of this encounter I told Paul I would like to give it a try.


The first thing that needed to be done was to slice the roast into a flat steak that would be the base for the roll.


Next I coated the inside with a little olive oil and using fresh spinach with a rough chop and crumbled feta cheese and crushed and fine chopped garlic.

 

Tying the roll the with 3 strings and a light dusting of rub it was now ready for the smoker!




Into the smoker it went at 250 degrees for 4 hours. I was doing a Boston Butt at the same time so I let it drip on the venison as it smoked. Once it reached an inside temp of 165 degrees I wrapped it in foil and let it rest for 30 minutes. 


As I have never smoked venison prior too this I was very happy with the result. Paul was thrilled and told all his friends about it. 

This will be one that I will eagerly attempt again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment